I’m Alexis Bonavitacola ~ an artist, teacher, entrepreneur, and passionate human being dedicated to leading a purposeful life. I specialize in abstract art, especially the energy, motion, and flow of alcohol inks.
I have 20 years as an educator, hold a Ph.D in education, love teaching students of all levels, and taking my art to new levels. I believe in the value of sharing our talents and giving back to inspire others to grow.
I desire to create art that feels unbridled and free. My work captures energy, movement, fluidity, and gives me the ability to just go with the flow.
My creations celebrate my natural curiosity. I love layering and blending colors and mixing mediums creating magical experiences with my art. I specialize in abstract art whether I am painting in alcohol inks, encaustic wax, acrylics, watercolors, mixed media, or digital mediums. I want my art to create a sense of wonder.
I welcome and invite you on my journey.
Energy.Motion.Flow is a class all about alcohol inks and beyond. (More about the beyond in a little bit). Over the years, I explored the brilliant fluidity and joyful and endless ways in which alcohol inks produce organic paintings that seem to defy imagination. The colors dance off the page and the inks create a transparent hue that almost seem to glow. I like to think that alcohol inks helped me think outside of the box (although, I don’t think I was ever in one to begin with) and pushed me to create my own style of painting. I’ve learned to create my own style of painting. And that’s exactly what I want to teach you to do!
I have experienced Alexis Bonavitacola‘s course 3 times and plan on more. I think any experience promotes a feeling. How do I describe the many feelings I’ve had since the very first time I sign up. I “feel” connected to a wonderful group of people who I may never meet in person but care for deeply. I “feel” wonderful when I paint something and you give me your beautiful comments. I “feel” like an artist for the very first time in my life. I “feel” nurtured and cared for by you all. I “feel” brave and willing to try new things. i “feel” adventurous…the sky’s the limit. Well, I could go on and on but I guess what I really want to say is that, Alexis, this is not just a “course”. This is something much, much more. I’ve taken other courses and that’s exactly what they were. I learned things and the instructors were wonderful, but this is so powerful in so many ways, it seems a shame to just describe it as a course. Thank YOU, Alexis Bonavitacola, for dreaming up such a wonderful EXPERIENCE for us all!!!! I look forward to many more. I just don’t know how you can even put a price on what you’ve given to all of us! Thanks! XOXOXOXOX
This course is designed for you if you want to:
- Learn to let go and play with the fluidity and adventuresome spirit of alcohol inks. And you are willing (and excited) to take a few risks with the inks and me.
- Find your own style of painting and be open to new possibilities.
- Play with new tools to move the ink around and create unique textures.
- Explore abstract, blooms, expressive landscapes and sea and sky in ink.
- Engage in a community of supportive, lift-your-spirits, like-minded artists. I have found that we all become the most wonderful teachers in these types of communities.
- Think of yourself as an amazing artist, full of possibility, from day one of the course.
Just a note: Although, I will be sharing many of my techniques with you, this class is about discovering your own unique style and bringing forth your own talents in alcohol ink. Remember that you want to keep YOUR VISION in your painting. The work you want to create will be your own, but know that I will give you the tools and techniques that will help you along your way.
This is the first online course I’ve taken and you have set the bar incredibly high for anyone who follows. The number of technique demos along with your feedback, support, and encouragement provided an unbelievable rate of return on the class tuition. You were definitely born to be an artist and a teacher. You are “all in” when it comes to your students and that is something I genuinely respect and appreciate. You created a fantastic, fun, judgment-free, and nurturing learning environment. Your approach to teaching fosters a group dynamic that is also positive and encouraging.
But this class has done more than help me improve my AI work. I read a quote a few weeks ago (I don’t know who to attribute it to) that says, “Sometimes you need to step outside, get some air, and remind yourself of who you are and who you want to be.” This class was my step outside to get some air. I love your holistic and spiritual approach to teaching and it made such an impact! I honestly feel that this class has been a life-changer for me.
You and this class have had a hugely positive impact on my life and for that I also sincerely thank you.Sharon
- This is a five week guided ecourse with classes rolled out from Monday to Friday. . Each week will consist of five lessons. Not every day will be a “painting” day. In fact, days two and four our demo days, while the other days are used to inspire and motivate you to think about creativity in others ways. These non-painting days are used for reflection, inspiration, virtual play dates, and fun tips and tricks, and an opportunity for you to breathe and step back from the painting. In previous courses, these non-painting days have moved the artists in profound ways. I have found these non-painting days to feed my soul as much, if not more, than the painting days. And an important note: I believe in the power of these non-painting days as much as the painting days.
- These five weeks of lessons will include audio, video, text, and downloadable resources to guide you through each step of the learning process. The course is Mac and Windows compatible! You MUST have access to high speed Internet. Also, since I use mostly all videos uploaded to Vimeo.com for my demonstrations, please see if you are able to access Vimeo videos on your device. This is really important so that you do not experience any technical difficulties.
- I will provide you with access to your own private course website and membership in a private, safe, we-are-all-in-this-together community that learns and grows together. This keeps on going way after the class ends and these friendship have become very important.
- I will happily give you ongoing and specific feedback tailored to your individual needs.
- You can learn at your own speed and you will have LIFETIME ACCESS. I am specifically designing the course so that alcohol ink artists of all levels feel honored through supportive and timely feedback. For those that would like a little more challenge, there will be resources that you could purchase if interested in exploring, alcohol inks and encaustic wax. I will be playing with oil pastels, too and am going to see how to incorporate these with inks as well. Whatever I am learning, I want to bring to you, too. See? I did say…Alcohol inks and beyond.
- Our Fun Tips and Tricks contain a plethora of information on apps, photo editing sites, sites to reproduce your images into products and loads of other goodies. You will learn how to make gorgeous gifts from you artwork!
- We’ll have visits to virtual artists’ studios to watch them at work. This is such an amazing part of this ecourse and enjoyed by all of the students.
- Definitely a surprise speaker/artist or two! Get ready for podcasts, too!.
- I will share my heartfelt approach to alcohol ink painting and mixed media for those that are interested in adding to their ink paintings.
Some other details about the course
I welcome learners at all levels in their alcohol ink experience. In the beginning, I started out slowly but very quickly…and I mean quickly began to explore new options in ink. I’d like to believe that in our community of artists, you may be prepared to take the next steps sooner than you think.
For those that are at the intermediate levels, after a short review of materials used for the class, you could take my techniques and just go wild – perhaps even creating art that I never even imagined. As mentioned previously, I will provide a list of resources if you want to purchase some acrylics, oil pastels, or encaustic wax to try out these more advanced techniques with the inks.
What will we be painting?
- Every day we begin with a Space for Gratitude. This is a new addition to this class and has proved to be such a thoughtful way for our artful journey to unfold each and every day of the course.
- We’ll start out learning setting for foundation for our learning. The Module 0 is all getting accustomed to our Facebook community and making sure you have your supplies and other important beginning pieces of the course.
- The Module 1 we explore everything you ever wanted to know about alcohol inks! There will be demos of the supplies that you will need, the inks, paper, etc. We’ll create a few small “inky” pieces, but quickly move to the more fluid pieces trying more and more techniques and approaches. We’ll venture quickly abstracts and you will definitely enjoy the process of learning.
- In Module 2 we’ll focus on Blooms – everyone loves paintings blooms/flowers! I’ll explore painting flowers (some red and white poppies, various blooms of color, and other flowers that may move us). You will also have my many Pinterest boards for inspiration.
- Module 3 is all about expressive landscapes and will be inspired by other wonderful artists to give us ideas for possible creations. Even former students share their step-by-step instructions on how to make gorgeous trees and other students share their art and instructions throughout the course. Our class is a truly collaborative experience.
- Module 4 explores sea and sky and creating beautiful skies and some seascapes, as well.
- In my Bonus Module, we will have a potpourri of goodies – masking flowers, painting a zebra, and other fun pieces.
- We will spend time looking at the work of some amazing artists and learn how to recreate these pieces in alcohol inks and mixed media.
- Fun Tips and Tricks contains wonderful videos...these are always growing with every new app and site that becomes available during our time together.
- Optional lessons (and I really do mean optional) will be available for those that want to extend alcohol inks to infinity and beyond!
- There is so much, so much more.
$267 Early Bird Special
Registration Opening Soon
Once again – included in this ecourse:
- Six weeks of amazing content (with a break week in between weeks 2 and 3)
- 150+ videos!!!
- Lifetime access to the entire website.
- Homeplay (NOT HomeWORK)
- Access to a vibrant Facebook Learning Community – I like to say, “This is where the magic happens”.
- Interviews with other amazing alcohol ink artists – these are my surprise guests!
- Tons of Friday Fun Tips and Tricks to help you market your art, learn about scanning, companies that I use to make fabulous gifts, etc.
- TED talks that move you to think about creativity in ways you never thought about before – trust me.
- A video listing of every single video formatted by lesson, name of video, and duration of the video with a link to take you directly to the video.
- A holistic, generous, nurturing, and fun way to cultivate the artist in you and help you grow in your creative journey.
Thank you, Alexis, for sharing your love of art with us, as well as sharing a piece of your soul.
Even though I knew nothing about the waxes or most of your tips and tricks, the “beyond” to me became learning about why I wanted to paint. I learned that in order to express my art outwards, I had to first look inwards. You’ve given me so much to think about.
To me, though, your greatest gift is not your AMAZING art, but your ability to connect with people and to connect people to each other.
I know the door to the classroom is closing, but I like to think a window has been opened.
Many, many thanks to you Alexis.